10 ingredients you should always have on hand


In a perfect world I would grocery shop daily not weekly and Id spend my mornings planning meals my afternoons shopping for the things for my meals and the evening cooking. My life would be all cooking all the time, and Id have someone to keep the mess cleaning up behind me. Id shop only at farmers markets and butcher shops, well except for those favorite sauces I don't feel able to live without..

But that is not the world I live in, Don't get me wrong, I love the world I live in. I love taking care of the big family, and pride myself on being prepared for whatever might come my way.

Here are the things I always try to keep on hand, and in my opinion are must haves or I have failed as a mom..


Bacon - Bacon goes with anything from breakfast to cupcakes. In recipes that call for oil I often fry some bacon and use that in place of cooking oil or butter and the bacon if it isnt snatched up too quickly can be crumbled on anything



canned biscuits and cresent rolls- I like pilsbury grands another versitile ingredient that can be used for anything from biscuits, to turnovers, to donuts, to casserole topping, blankets for pigs in a blanket, even pizza crusts


tortilla shells - Tortilla shells are can also be used in desserts or savory dishes and are fairly cheap. great for burritos, quesadillas, they can be used for meals, or as appetizers


tater tots - tater tots are excellent in casseroles, its potatoes what doesn't it go with? manwich casserole, chicken casserole, buffalo chicken casserole,  and that's just a few ideas


Shredded cheddar Cheese - Cheese is the bacon of the dairy world.. It can stand alone and even has a place in the dessert world Cheddar cheese pairs well with anything.


cream cheese - cream cheese is da bomb, great for dips, cheesecakes, pasta dishes, both savory and sweet cheese balls, jalapeno poppers, cake icing, and so many dessert recipes, It can be substituted for recipes that call for sour cream and doesn't have the sour note sour cream offers.


Instant mashed potatoes - Instant mashed potatoes have come a long way since I was a kid, They actually taste like mashed potatoes now-a-days and keep much much longer. But even if you prefer your mashed potatoes home made there is still a place in your pantry for a box of the instant stuff.. Its a great thickener for soups and stews, I add it in a lot of dough recipes, breads, biscuits, pie crusts, dumplings, I use it in place of flour in salmon patties and have even added to my flour mixture when frying chicken


Chicken broth - one can never have too much chicken broth on hand. savory dishes that call for water replace that water with chicken broth and tell me you can't tell the difference. Its adds so much more flavor. I boil most pasta in chicken broth, and rice too for that matter.


frozen spinach - they say half the dining experience is visual, and spinach can add a pop of color to any not pretty meal. just sprinkle a little in a dish that needs a pop of color and see how pretty it makes it. Spinach doesn't have an over powering flavor so its perfect for a pop of color. I love to just melt cheddar over frozen spinach and eat it like that, My family loves spinach in anything from shrimp and grits, to pizza, to creamed spinach.. Its my favorite of the greens family.. I could eat spinach daily..


Spaghetti sauce - Its not just for spaghetti, it's great for simply dipping cheese cubes in, it can be used on homemade pizza, on any type of pasta, even chicken dishes. My kids love tortilla shells with spaghetti sauce and cheese popped in the microwave or over a few minute for a personal pizza



What are your go-to ingredients that you feel like you MUST HAVE on hand?


melissa

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I need to use canned biscuits more! I didn't realize they were so versatile.

    ReplyDelete

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();

10 ingredients you should always have on hand


In a perfect world I would grocery shop daily not weekly and Id spend my mornings planning meals my afternoons shopping for the things for my meals and the evening cooking. My life would be all cooking all the time, and Id have someone to keep the mess cleaning up behind me. Id shop only at farmers markets and butcher shops, well except for those favorite sauces I don't feel able to live without..

But that is not the world I live in, Don't get me wrong, I love the world I live in. I love taking care of the big family, and pride myself on being prepared for whatever might come my way.

Here are the things I always try to keep on hand, and in my opinion are must haves or I have failed as a mom..


Bacon - Bacon goes with anything from breakfast to cupcakes. In recipes that call for oil I often fry some bacon and use that in place of cooking oil or butter and the bacon if it isnt snatched up too quickly can be crumbled on anything



canned biscuits and cresent rolls- I like pilsbury grands another versitile ingredient that can be used for anything from biscuits, to turnovers, to donuts, to casserole topping, blankets for pigs in a blanket, even pizza crusts


tortilla shells - Tortilla shells are can also be used in desserts or savory dishes and are fairly cheap. great for burritos, quesadillas, they can be used for meals, or as appetizers


tater tots - tater tots are excellent in casseroles, its potatoes what doesn't it go with? manwich casserole, chicken casserole, buffalo chicken casserole,  and that's just a few ideas


Shredded cheddar Cheese - Cheese is the bacon of the dairy world.. It can stand alone and even has a place in the dessert world Cheddar cheese pairs well with anything.


cream cheese - cream cheese is da bomb, great for dips, cheesecakes, pasta dishes, both savory and sweet cheese balls, jalapeno poppers, cake icing, and so many dessert recipes, It can be substituted for recipes that call for sour cream and doesn't have the sour note sour cream offers.


Instant mashed potatoes - Instant mashed potatoes have come a long way since I was a kid, They actually taste like mashed potatoes now-a-days and keep much much longer. But even if you prefer your mashed potatoes home made there is still a place in your pantry for a box of the instant stuff.. Its a great thickener for soups and stews, I add it in a lot of dough recipes, breads, biscuits, pie crusts, dumplings, I use it in place of flour in salmon patties and have even added to my flour mixture when frying chicken


Chicken broth - one can never have too much chicken broth on hand. savory dishes that call for water replace that water with chicken broth and tell me you can't tell the difference. Its adds so much more flavor. I boil most pasta in chicken broth, and rice too for that matter.


frozen spinach - they say half the dining experience is visual, and spinach can add a pop of color to any not pretty meal. just sprinkle a little in a dish that needs a pop of color and see how pretty it makes it. Spinach doesn't have an over powering flavor so its perfect for a pop of color. I love to just melt cheddar over frozen spinach and eat it like that, My family loves spinach in anything from shrimp and grits, to pizza, to creamed spinach.. Its my favorite of the greens family.. I could eat spinach daily..


Spaghetti sauce - Its not just for spaghetti, it's great for simply dipping cheese cubes in, it can be used on homemade pizza, on any type of pasta, even chicken dishes. My kids love tortilla shells with spaghetti sauce and cheese popped in the microwave or over a few minute for a personal pizza



What are your go-to ingredients that you feel like you MUST HAVE on hand?


1 comment :

  1. Great ideas! I need to use canned biscuits more! I didn't realize they were so versatile.

    ReplyDelete


Back To School Sitewide Promotion, Ends: Aug 28@Tomtop.com